Thursday 22 May 2008

Melanie Bilenker Jewellery



"I take photos of my ordinary daily goings on and then make drawings from them using strands of hair set into epoxy resin. If the portraits are of me, then I use my hair. I have done portraits of others using their hair as well (and several of cats using cat hair).

I am most inspired by victorian mourning jewelry and portrait miniatures, as well as contemporary photography focusing on traces of daily life, including some work by sophie calle, cindy sherman, larry sultan and hans peter feldman."


Brooch (2007) , 4.2 x 4.7 x 1cm
Materials: Gold, sterling silver, ebony, resin, pigment, hair



Necklace (2006), 2.8 x 2.7 x .8 cm (pendant), 57 cm (chain)
Materials: Gold, boxwood, epoxy resin, pigment, hair



Brooch (2007), 5.6 x 6.4 x 1cm
Materials: Gold, sterling silver, ebony, resin, pigment, hair


"The Victorians kept lockets of hair and miniature portraits painted with ground hair and pigment to secure the memory of a lost love. In much the same way, I secure my memories through photographic images rendered in lines of my own hair, the physical remnants. I do not reproduce events, but quiet minutes, the mundane, the domestic, the ordinary moments.
"

source.

No comments: